Monday, February 15, 2010

Granada


Hola todos! I'm a terrible person and have not written in TWO WEEKS!!! What can I say, I've been busy living the life of a traveler (well, kind of)!

The weekend of February 5th-7th, I visited Granada, a beautiful city with an amazing history. The first place we visited in Granada was the Alhambra, a palace and fortress complex built by Moorish monarchs beginning around 1232. Before visiting Granada, I heard the Alhambra was Spain's most visited monument, and after I saw it, I knew why. The architecture and location of this place are absolutely stunning.

Here is a picture of one of my favorite areas in the Alhambra. This is the Patio de Arrayanes. It was cloudy the day we visited, so my picture definitely does not do this place justice. On a sunny day, this pool reflects light into the surrounding halls.



The Alhambra is also the inspiration for Washington Irving's book, "Tales of the Alhambra." I was able to take several pictures of his room, including this photo of his bed...HOW NEAT!!!



Here are a few more pictures of my visit to the Alhambra.







The second place we visited in Granada was La Capilla Real. Inside the Capilla Real are the tombs of two of the most influential people in Spain's history, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. We were not allowed to take pictures inside the Capilla Real, but the experience was well worth it. Outside La Capilla Real, we visited a gypsy spice market. The spices are much cheaper than in the States. I bought Saffron and Vanilla.



After a full day of touring the city, we had the oppotunity to go to the gypsy caves and watch Flamenco. It was my second time to watch Flamenco, but these dancers were definitely the best I've seen. These people have a passion for the dance, and as creepy as it may be...they don't smile AT ALL while they are dancing!



(The Spanish Patrick Swayze).



Okay, so I know I had to insert a disclaimer in my last blog because I always say, "This is the most fascinating place I have ever visited," but the Monasterio de San Jerónimo is DEFINITELY the most fascinating place I have visited. My favorite part of the monastery was the church. The interior was absolutely stunning, and I liked the story behind it. It was paid for by the Duchess of Sesa as a memorial to her husband, Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba. Fernández was the the "Gran Capitan" to Charles V. Here are some pictures of the church.







You will notice Fernández's original sword was used in this painting...fascinating!!





We spent the last day in Granada exploring the city. One of the places we visited was the Moroccan market. There were so many things I would have liked to buy there, but it was hard to multitask between shopping and clinging to my purse...enough said..haha!





After, shopping we grabbed a kebab (which everyone agreed was the best thing we've eaten in Spain), and then we found a park to soak up some sun. I had to have a nap, of course.





Well, that about wraps up my trip to Granada. I visited so many places in so little time, but hopefully I've done an okay job of summing up my favorite parts!!

I hope I have the opportunity to someday return to the place Washington Irving called, "Lovely Granada! City of delights! I speak with enthusiasm on this theme; for it is connected with the recollection of one of the sweetest evenings and sweetest scenes that ever I enjoyed in Spain."

No comments:

Post a Comment