Friday, July 9, 2010

It's okay to smile...even on the subway

Despite its many flaws, the New York subway system never fails to provide me with material for my blogs. Whether it be the crazies in the car, the screaming conductors, or the lack of air conditioning, I ALWAYS have something to say about the subway.

But today's subject isn't about the crazies or conductors...

Let me just begin by saying, I pretty much categorize any/every instance I've had in the subway as negative, so you should be glad to know you're getting your first, and quite possibly the only, POSITIVE tale from the underground!

This morning, I boarded the subway at 116th and Broadway. As usual, all the men were sitting down, and all the women were standing (a fact that still amazes me, being a woman from the south...chivalry died a long time ago in NYC). Anyway, much to the dismay of a 300 pound man whose rear-end was taking up one-and-a-half seats, I decided to squeeze into the half of the seat he left empty.

Two words...BAD IDEA. Big man was mad, really mad. And my 1/2 seat DEFINITELY wasn't big enough for my large behind. Needless-to-say, this was not a good way to start the subway ride. Thankfully, big man got off at the next stop (but not before heaving a few heavy sighs and turning around to glare at me one last time).

This is when a little Mexican man with a guitar and a tiny rattle-like instrument tied to his fingers boarded the train. He was wearing khakis, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt, and he was exceptionally tan. Just the very site of him took me to a beach in Puerto Vallarta, accompanied by the smell of coconut suntan oil, and a corona.

Then he began singing. He sang some song in Spanish about love, a friend, and a smile. (Sorry, I'm losing my Spanish skills...I'm only able to pick up on certain words.) While he was singing, he furiously strummed his guitar and shook his shaker things.

I was astounded! He was amazing! And the combination of the upbeat song and his happy-go-lucky demeanor produced the sort of light-hearted feeling usually associated with the first day of summer.

And...WAIT FOR IT....I looked around the car, and a few people (ok, maybe a small few) were ACTUALLY SMILING!! Yes, you read correctly, I caught some New Yorkers with smiles on their faces!

Inspired by the cheery feeling swirling around the car, I, too, began to smile. I probably even took it a little too far. My smile turned into a grin, and I began grinning at any/everyone who would look at me.

I looked across the car and caught a girl about my age staring at me, a blank look on her face. She continued staring, confused, for a couple of seconds, before she shrugged her shoulders and smiled back! I felt like I was witnessing the enemy raise the white flag in defeat. Her expression read, "Okay, if this dumb idiot's going to keep grinning, I guess I'll join."

I was so busy smiling at my new friend, I forgot to hand the man some money when he walked past me. Instead, I just greeted him with with a fertive, "Hola!!"

I hope he knows how much I appreciate his little serenade!

So, lesson for the day--it's okay to smile...even on the subway.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment