Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Red, White, and Fabulous!!

Hello everyone! I’m back from the BEST Fourth of July weekend ever (No offense small town Texas, but NYC has you beat when it comes to Independence Day activities.) I know it’s been forever since I’ve written, but at least I have something interesting to write about today. Here’s the scoop on the food, fun, and other details of my FANTASTIC holiday.

My 4th of July weekend began with a trip to the Hamptons on Saturday. Travis and I took a really nice bus out to East Hampton to visit his great uncle (I’ll just refer to him as Uncle W from now on). Upon our arrival, Uncle W met us at the bus stop and drove us to his beautiful house just down the block from some lady named MARTHA STEWART!!

As we rounded the first corner on the way to his house, Uncle W pointed to a GINGANTIC Hampton’s style mansion and said, “Some guy named Bon Jovi lives there. He and Paul McCartney had a concert here a couple of years ago.”

You know, some guy named Bon Jovi, no big deal, right!??

Here are some pictures at my "dream beach house"

The front...



A view of the back of the house...



The "guest house"



The interior of the "guest house"...loved the beachy interior



The hydrangeas were beautiful!!



After Uncle W gave me a quick tour of his precious house (built in 1912), and after I picked my jaw up off the floor, Travis and I quickly changed into our swimsuits and headed down to the beach to soak up some sun! It was sooo nice! It felt like the first time the sun had touched my skin in ages. The NYC skyscrapers surprisingly aren’t conducive to my sun tan.

After we baked in the sun for a few hours, we headed back to the house to get cleaned up for dinner at an old country club in East Hampton (I think Uncle W told me it has been around since 1892). Thankfully I had spent the previous three days stressing about my outfit, so getting dressed for the dinner was relatively painless.

The dinner was a lot more laid back than I expected, so my new Anthropologie skirt and blouse didn’t clash with the shiny Versace gowns like I had expected. (Honestly, can you blame me… dinner at the East Hampton country club?? What was I supposed to think?)

Travis and I after dinner...



Anyway, dinner was great. Travis freaked out because the main character from the show “Modern Family” was there with her real family. But I, being the experienced celebrity stalker that I am, didn’t get too worked up about it. I mean, who’s she compared to Taylor Lautner? : )

After dinner, we took a nice stroll on the beach. But no worries, we didn't go anywhere near the water. It's kind of hard to get your feet wet when you are accompanied by someone who is afraid of sea monsters. : )

Here are some pics of Travis and I on the beach...







Our bus the next morning left at 10:00, but Uncle W offered to take us up for a quick ride in his plane, so obviously we chose to postpone our trip back to the big city in favor of a nice little airplane ride over the Hamptons. And that wasn’t all…Uncle W had even more surprises up his sleeve. Not only did he give us a tour of the Hamptons, but he also flew us over to Nantucket for a nice lunch in the harbor.

A view from where we ate lunch in Nantucket...



A view of the beaches in the Hamptons...



Travis and Uncle W talking about guy stuff...



I seriously felt like I was living in a dream world this entire trip. I'm so grateful for Uncle W's generosity. He's definitely maintained his southern hospitality despite the many years he's lived in NYC.

As you might have noticed, the Hamptons part of my holiday kind of trumped the rest of my weekend activities, but I can't wrap up this blog without mentioning that I also ate some AMAZING food, finally saw Phantom of the Opera, and also did a little shopping (duh). I couldn't have asked for a better weekend!!

Here are some more pics…

Outside the Phantom of the Opera...



Waiting for the fireworks...next to the Hudson



Couldn't possibly capture how beautiful the fireworks were in a photograph...



Until next time,

1 comment:

Post a Comment