Monday, January 11, 2010

Me encanta Sevilla

I'm now officially 21, and I have to say, I actually feel older! But last night I realized it isn't the fact that I can now order a drink in the States that makes me feel this way. I have stepped out of my comfort zone and as a result, have already begun to discover a lot about myself.
A dinner conversation last night with Isa helped me realize why I have begun to feel this way.
She told Kristen and me that she loves to travel. She said she uses the money she makes for providing housing for American students to travel. She speaks French fluently and has been all over the world.
Anyway, Isa then began talking about our experience here in Spain. She told us that when we arrived in Sevilla, we were simply wide-eyed girls hoping to learn a little Spanish and have some fun, but she said we will return to the United States "mujeres," or women, with knowledge of a different life and a different culture.
We were both very inspired by her little speech. Isa is knowledgeable and passionate as are many of the Españoles. The people here seem to be less passionate about money, social status, or professional success, and more passionate about their family and their culture. They take time to enjoy the simple things, and as a result, the pace is much slower and the people seem happier. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be a Texas girl, but I am inspired by the lifestyle here. I enjoy being able to take a deep breath and walk slowly behind the meandering old man dressed in a fedora and a wool coat. It's like stepping back in time. So that's the end of my little sermon. Bottom line...me encanta Sevilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment