Sunday, June 20, 2010

Art Un-Appreciation



When I was in the 4th grade, I participated in the UIL "Art Appreciation" contest. The basic premise of "Art Appreciation" is to study art, obviously. You memorize all the details of the painting including: who painted it, what year it was painted, what movement it was from, etc.

To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of "Art Appreciation," but it definitely came in handy while I was in Europe this spring. I saw so many works by famous painters such as Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, Leonard da Vinci, and it was nice to be able to recognize the paintings and know a little bit about them.

HOWEVER, (you knew it was coming didn't you), as much as I try, I CANNOT develop an appreciation for modern art. So I guess when I visited the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) on Friday, I should have known I would spend more time concentrating on what I wanted to eat for dinner rather than the artistic value of a splatter painted canvas or a green square.

I mean, COME ON PEOPLE!! I could give my six-year-old cousin a large canvas and some black and white paint, and she could produce a "masterpiece" similar to that of the splatter paintings in the MOMA. Call me classless, but I just don't understand some people's preferences when it comes to art.

It was upon leaving the MOMA that I walked up behind an elderly man and his wife and heard their conversation. I thought their two-sentence banter described my sentiments about the MOMA perfectly:

Husband: "Why'd we stay in there so long?"
Wife: "Well hun, I just kept thinking it was gonna get better."

Now that I'm done ranting, I will say I enjoyed seeing "Starry Night" and a couple of Picasso paintings. I also especially enjoyed the photography section. I've grown up seeing the picture of the woman and her children during the Great Depression, and it was very moving to see it in person.

Here are some of my favorites...

Van Gogh




Andy Warhol:


You will be interested to know that I have a couple of additions to my "seen" and "met" lists.

Seen:
Toby Keith
Shannon Bream (although I feel like we met because we sat in the producer pre-show meeting everyday).

Here are some Toby Keith stalker pics (since I couldn't meet him, I had to be a little creepy)



He hadn't seen (or used) a razor in a while...




Met:
Jon Scott


Also, before I wrap this thing up, please remember to go check out my contribution to "Fox Rocks with Kate and Carly," the weekly intern blog on the Happening Now portion of the Fox website. Every Friday, I will collaborate with one of my fellow interns, Carly, to produce an update on what life is like as an intern at Fox News. This week was our first week to do it, so you can find a quick bio about each of us!

AND COMING SOON...Kristi, a family friend, is helping me re-vamp my blog, so you can look forward to a new and improved blog soon! She has designed some pretty cool blogs. Check her web site out @ http://kristiskringles.blogspot.com!

Until next time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to add Snookie to the seen list!!

Kate said...

No Worries, I added Snookie a couple of blogs earlier! How could I forget? lol!

Post a Comment