Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Handshake

Hello Everyone!!

For those of you who have Facebook, you've probably already seen my pictures of the additions to my "met" list.

If not, wait for it. Are you ready? Prepare to be amazed! I can now officially add DENZEL WASHINGTON to my list. It's been several days since I shook his hand (4 days to be exact), and it's getting increasingly harder to shower with one hand! Haha!
Just kidding, I've washed my hand since then, even though I would have loved to preserve a little bit of that dream-like moment forever.



So, moving on...work has been great lately. Last Saturday, I volunteered to help with the Huckabee show, and I had the opportunity to talk to Tommy Chong (the “Chong” from “Cheech and Chong”). He was definitely an interesting character. I especially liked talking to him about the nine months he spent in prison. : )



Saturday was a great day because when I left the show, I shook hands with Denzel, then my friends and I bought tickets to the Broadway Musical, "In the Heights." The best part was, we stuck around after to meet the cast (including High School Musical star, Corbin Bleu).



I forgot to add earlier that I might as well go ahead and re-add Governor Mike Huckabee to my "met" list because I had to introduce myself to him a second time when I worked his show!

I made a completely normal situation really awkward when he walked up to me and said, "Thanks for helping out today, I'm Mike."
"I know," I blurted out, "I met you the other day, on floor 12, next to the green room, after your makeup. I'm from Texas...Kate, remember?"

Yes, I really said all of that in a span of 5 seconds. And no, I didn't breathe in between sentences. But I tried to save myself, and him, the embarrassment by saying, "It's alright. I'm sure you meet a lot of important people."

It was after I blurted this out, I realized that I just categorized myself as an "important" person. I always seem to be able to find the perfect way to make a perfectly normal moment extremely awkward.

As I said before, work has been going really well lately. I've continued to learn more about the news gathering process on the national level which has been very eye opening. Most recently, I've had the opportunity to collaborate with a fellow intern on the blog for Happening Now. Every day before the show, we'll right "teases" for what will be discussed during the show.

This Friday, we're also starting an "intern blog" about what working at FOX News is like from an intern's perspective. I'm really excited to get started on that. I always find myself the happiest when I'm writing. For those of you who want to check it out, here's a link to the place where I'll be blogging.



That's about all the updates I have for now. I feel like my "MET" and "SEEN" lists are getting smaller as far as work goes because the "famous" faces are beginning to become familiar!

MET:

Denzel Washington
Tommy Chong
Corbin Bleu (and the rest of the "In the Heights" cast)

SEEN:
"Snooki" (from the ridiculous MTV show, “Jersey Shore”)


Also, here's one last thing I wanted to share with you. This is a view of the city from my dorm room window. It's beautiful, my lack of camera skills definitely don't do it justice!



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment