Sunday, June 6, 2010

Work, Subways, and Famous People

As usual, I’m behind on blogging, but I may find it easier to blog on Sundays and fill you in on the entire week, rather than give you day-by-day updates (Unless something earth shattering happens and I can’t wait to fill you in.)

So we’ll start with the most important part of my life here in NYC, my job. As most of you know, I’m interning at FOX news. Initially I thought I would only be working with producers for the America Live show, but I’m actually helping out with America’s Newsroom, Happening Now, and America Live. My first day on the job, I was introduced to my supervisor. She is a producer for America Live, but since she is surrounded by other producers, who need help, looks like I’ll be getting passed around a bit (which is perfectly fine with me…I HATE BEING BORED!)

My main duties include: creating the make-up lists for each show, calling cars to pick-up guests for their on-air appearances, greeting the NYC guests, and shadowing the producers in pre-show meetings. The best part about this is definitely greeting guests. Each day I update my lists for 1) people I’ve met or 2) people I’ve seen in the building. I’ve already built up a pretty cool list, and hopefully by the end of the summer my “met” list will be larger than my “seen” list. Here are my two lists so far.

Met:
Adam Shapiro
Ken Rosenthal
Governor Mike Huckabee
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Giraldo Rivera
Richard Socarides


Seen:
Jane Skinner
Jon Scott
Bill Hemmer
Shepard Smith
MEGYN KELLY!!


Getting to and from work is always interesting because, as you already know, I take the subway. I seriously feel like the MOST INTERSTING/STRANGE/WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS HE/SHE THINKING?? kind of people LOVE to hang out on the subway. But no worries, (dad), I’ve always got my pepper spray close at hand!

For the most part, the subway has been pretty good about being on time, etc. However, Friday was a tad bit more interesting. It was 7:15 a.m., and I had to be at work at 7:30 a.m. The subway stopped at 59th (my final stop is 50th), and the woman on the speaker told everyone to get off the subway because, “This would be the final stop for this train.” So, with heels in hand, I took off sprinting New York style the next 10 blocks to work. Let’s just say by the time I finally made it to work, my freshly curled hair and “flawless” makeup looked like they were left over from the night before. NOT a good way to start off the day. To make matters worse, the subway malfunctioned on me again on my way home from work. The only problem was, this time, I was 6 stops away from Columbia. After 30 minutes of trying to get a cab, a girl from Wellesley and I finally made it back to our dorm. So after reading this, you should be able to get a good idea of how I feel about the subway system in NYC.

I’ve also discovered grocery shopping is going to be a bit of a chore. Tuesday, my roommate and I made what we thought would be a “quick trip” to the grocery store, but we ended up buying three weeks worth of groceries. This was perfectly fine until we made it to the check-out and realized we would have to carry these groceries at least ¼ of a mile back to our apt! This made our trek back to the dorms much more difficult than the walk up there. BUT news alert, one of the producers at FOX filled me in on an amazing little detail that may just be my life-saver! Here in NYC, you can order your groceries online and have them delivered (for free) to your house! How cool is that?? I honestly feel like you could sit in your apt for the next 40 years, and never have to leave. They have delivery for EVERYTHING!! I’LL TAKE ONE CHEESECAKE TO GO PLEASE!!!

Until next time….

2 comments:

Amy said...

I want my groceries delivered! Awesome!!

Julie Hartsfield said...

KATE!!! i LOVE your blog, and you are going to be besties with basically every famous person on earth by August. Hope you meet Megyn soon!

Glad you're having a blast, and I'm so proud of you for doing this! Que Fuerte!!

love you!

-julie

Post a Comment