Monday, June 14, 2010

Country Music in Manhattan

It’s been a while since I’ve written, and surprisingly, I’ve actually had some exciting experiences in the last few days. Nothing too crazy has happened at work because I feel like I’ve begun to develop a sort of routine. However, Friday, Fox and Friends hosted country singer Clay Walker* as their Summer Concert Series guest, and my supervisor let me skip out on work for a couple of hours to watch his concert and GET A PICTURE WITH HIM!!



Now, I’m not one to name drop or pretend to rub elbows with people who have no idea who I am (unfortunately I’ve encountered a couple of people who live for this very thing), but I must admit, I had a great time crawling under the yellow rope and standing with all of the “important people” to watch the concert. I could definitely get used to this raising my id card and saying, “I’m with her” kind of lifestyle.

*Funny fact about Clay Walker…this wasn’t my first time to see him perform. A family friend took me and her daughters to watch him in Littlefield, Texas, about 10 years ago! Needless-to-say, Mr. Clay Walker has come a long way since the days of dilapidated stages and free concerts.



As I said earlier, I was able to hang around after his performance and take a picture with him. I told Clay (notice we are now on a first-name basis : )) that I had seen him in Littlefield, and he remembered!

I began with a hesitant, “Do you remember your concert in Littlefield, Texas?”

“How could I forget?” he replied. “ Home of Waylon Jennings.”

I thought about continuing with, “Well do you remember the little girl in the third row with missing front teeth and lime green socks,” but I thought better of it….our relationship is still in its beginning stages... Maybe some other time.

Anyway, I had a great time reminiscing with the guy whose CD I memorized in my pre-teens. I felt proud being the only person in the small crowd who knew the words to what I consider to be his greatest song of all time, “This woman and This Man.” I didn’t mind being a loner (that’s what you get when you invite a country singer to perform in Manhattan).

So there I stood, swaying and singing along when some middle-aged man walks up to me and says in his “joisey” accent, “Hey, who’s this guy?”

“Clay Walker,” I replied with what I’m sure was an offended expression on my face.

“Who the hell’s that?” he asked.

Enough said.

Moral of the story: when a Texas girl goes big city, she’s bound to be an outsider.

I’ve got so much more to tell you, but I couldn't wait to fill you in on my moment with Clay Walker. Got to get back to work…but here’s what you’ve been waiting for, the infamous picture of me and the man who had me at, “Then what?”




Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment